Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Reading...


MAYBE THIS TIME is Jennifer Crusie at her best. This 2010 release blends Crusie's light, witty humor with the paranormal touches we've seen in her last few works to create a satisfying romantic comedy. Her characters are well-drawn and likable, and her situations as twisted and amusing as ever.

Andromeda "Andie" Miller left her husband North Archer ten years ago, and is finally ready to move on with her life. She's engaged to marry someone new, and goes to see North for some closure. He asks one final favor of her - and it's a biggie - and she agrees, thinking if she does this for him then it will be over and settled between them. Except, being a Crusie novel, it's a little more complicated than that. Everything is more complicated.

Since Andie left, North has become guardian to two orphaned children living in the southern part of the state who've already driven away three nannies. North asks Andie, a teacher by trade, to go down and assess the children's situation and learning abilities, and see if they're ready to transition to Columbus and public school. Andie accepts, and gets a lot more than she bargained for, including a houseful of ghosts and a second chance to make right her relationship with North.

At 342 pages, it all goes too quickly. The ghosts are well-characterized and believable, if you believe in this sort of thing, which not all the characters in the story do, until it's almost too late. If you like light romantic comedy with a paranormal twist, I would definitely recommend this novel.

Okay, so what are you reading?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like I'll have to read Maybe This Time! I'm currently reading Hell Gate by Linda Fairstein. It's a little heavier than I prefer, but a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, too busy to handle heavy right now, lol. Need to keep it light and compartmentalized, if you know what I mean. Don't know what I was thinking when I let the kids sign up for this many spring activities...

    I have The Art of Racing in the Rain on top of my TBR pile, and I keep bypassing it, waiting until I have room in my brain...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started reading "Water for Elephants", found you from the A-Z Blogging Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love Sara Gruen - if you like Water for Elephants, my sister totally recommends Ape House which is also in my TBR pile.... and of course the movie is coming out in a few weeks...

    I just started IN A PERFECT WORLD by Laura Kasischke...so different than what I expected. Can't wait to see where it goes.

    Am headed off to check Monica's blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good read and I really like the cover design!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something about red on a book cover that makes it sooo appealing!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead - leave a comment! You know you want to! But don't be Anonymous - that'll just get you deleted. And who wants that?